Menu

5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars

Tuesday, October 14, 2008

I Don't Think I'll Revolt


Finally, a book to movie adaptation that I am not deathly afraid of.

As a hardcore fan of C.D. Payne's Youth In Revolt, it would be difficult to win my approval for the film adaptation.

The book is about 14 year-old Nick Twisp, an extremely intelligent, and extremely horny boy. He has two missions in life; read more books, and lose his virginity to the ever elusive Sheeni Saunders.

It is easily one of the funniest books I have ever read, and it is also one of the most graphic. If they were to make this movie true to the book, it would be rated X. However, they want to make money on this thing, and I think MIchael Cera doing an X rated movie would be, for lack of a better phrase, the end of his career.

So here we have MIchael Cera saddled with a character that he has never played before - someone charismatic, and someone with the vocabulary of someone 40 years older than him.

And you know what? I think he can do it. Not because I want him to be able to. Because I really do. I know he has played the same character over and over. But, it is because the script has always called for it. I believe in my heart he can pull it off. So Michael, if you are reading this, DON'T LET ME DOWN.

As for Sheeni, I don't know what to expect. The character of Sheeni is very complex, and not just anyone can play her. If you've read the book, you know what I mean. If you haven't, think of Hermione Granger, but way more promiscuous. Portia Doubleday is cast as Sheeni. I don't know her work, and I hope she can make it happen.

As for the rest of the cast, I think it looks great. We have Ari Graynor (who I mentioned was great in Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist), Steve Buscemi, Jonathan B. Wright, Jean Smart, Fred Willard, Justin Long, Ray Liotta, and Zach Galifianakis.

Miguel Arteta is signed on to direct. The only two things I have seen of his are single episodes of The Office and Freaks and Geeks. And I can't recall an episode I didn't like of either. So...

Sounds good to me. I look forward to this movie greatly.


Oh, and if you haven't read the book, go ahead and pick it up. It's among the best books I've read.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quote your sources and write in paragraphs that flow. This reads like a middle school book report.

Theotherbrother said...

This sounds legit yo. I'll check this one out. Maybe the book too. That would be a first.

Ezra Edmond said...

I think this sounds great. I'm really excited to see and read this. I know you push this book on me all the time, so I suppose its one I should get to before seeing the movie. Then again... maybe I'll read it after and see what they left out so I don't have to be jaded in the movie theater.

For the Record:

Hey Anonymous... I don't really get your mean posts. If you don't like the posts you don't have to comment on them. We appreciate that you seem to read every review that comes up here, but no need to bring the negative vibes around...

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Ezra Edmond said...

This comment space is reserved to only be used to talk about the movies written in the posts that they correspond to. If board abuse keeps happening like this I am going to be forced to remove the 'Post Anonymously' section.

Anonymous said...

dude, you're kind of a douche. what kind of sources could he possibly source?

Wilder Shaw said...

Hey hey, let's not start fights. Anonymous hater is entitled to his/her opinions. Let's keep the comments about the blogs guys.

Catherine. said...

i am in love with this book. please, please hollywood, do it justice!! and Wilder, in response to your comment, just a rather intimate look into the thoughts of women...im just not afraid to put them out there;) haha

Disclaimer:
Views and comments expressed by readers and guest contributors are not necessarily shared by the consistent team of THE MOVIE WATCH. This is a free speech zone and we will not censor guest bloggers, but ask that you do not hold us accountable for what they proclaim.