Menu

5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars

Monday, October 20, 2008

Review: MAX PAYNE


Allow me to get this out of the way: if you have not played any of the Max Payne video games you can't appreciate this movie or get into it.

That being said, if you have played the games you will find this movie amazing.

Keeping this in mind, it is irrelevant to explain the premise of the film - either you have played the games and should know the story, in which case you should see it as soon as you can. Or you haven't played the games, don't already know the story and the meaning, and should not see the movie.

What Max Payne achieves as a movie is what all video game inspired films should strive for. The game(s) are a legend amongst the gamer community for their groundbreaking storyline, character depth and style. The first game was a representation of how an awesome video game could have an amazing story behind it as well, and the movie has done the same.

This movie was perfect in its adaption of Max to the big screen, from Mark Wahlberg's mantastic portrayal of Max himself to the aesthetically perfect environment around him. Yes, there are little things that were staples of the games that were missing from the film (such as painkillers, aww) but they were things that would have made the movie un-movie like. Similarly, director John Moore (Flight of the Phoenix, Behind Enemy Lines) did a magnificent job of taking the "gameplay" so to speak, out of the action without ruining the action itself. What follows are some beautiful gunfights staged within scenary that is almost directly out of the game. The result will have fans in the audience shivering uncontrollably and urgently button mashing a game controller that isn't there. One scene in particular, when Max enters the Rag-Na-Rock club for the first time and moves down the hallway shotgun raised, made the hair on the back of my neck stand on end.

Now the film itself was beautiful. The art direction of this movie had my inner cinematographer nearly soiling himself. Issues that the audience will find will almost certainly center around performances by the actors. For one thing, Mila Kunis's character of Mona was completely lacking in substance. Of course, the film makers obviously chose not to develop Mona or make her very important except as a guntoting, female badass. As soon as that became apparent I stopped paying any attention to her, which is what Moore must have been going for because it was remarkably easy. Beau Bridges as BB was terrible. I firmly believe that had this role been filled by a more talented and engaged actor most fan members in the audience would have a very difficult time finding anything else wrong with this movie.
(on a side note, Ludacris was surprisingly good as Lt. Bravura - much better than his other rapper-turned-actor contemporaries)

I personally felt that the script was well written, with some fantastic lines that are dropped every once in a while. The biggest issue I had here was the almost complete lack of humor and rarely seen over-the-top action dialogue that made scenes from the games so engaging. But again, I think that if BB had been a more exciting character and was focused on more than Lupino was, these lackages would have been a minor annoyance.

The final verdict stands: I really enjoyed this movie. I appreciated its ability to stay true to the material without making a stupid, gunfight polluted debauchery of a movie and I absolutely loved the way it was shot. Again, I don't think that anyone who hasn't played the games can appreciate this movie. If you fall into that category, spend your money seeing Sex Drive or save it for Quantum of Solace. If you played the games, see this movie for no reason other than it captures the most important parts of the games you so dearly love without being stupid.
3 stars

5 comments:

lalinajimson said...

Hire my friend I want to tell you about the last movie I have seen. It is non other Max payne it is. Personally I’m finished the game totally. It is a game I do love. I think the shooting the bad guys at the same bullet speed time. Shooting ability is screened well. It was sit and watch time for me with DSL saw it at reliable site unknown called http://www.80millionmoviesfree.com

Ezra Edmond said...

Why do you always advertise this bootleg movie site here?

TheAnonymousOne said...

Patrick, you are a skilled writer and a very promising critic. That being said, watch some of your word choices. For instance, gun toting is two words, well-written is a hyphenate, lackage is not a word (neither is mantastic but at least that was humorous) and Cinematographer is a proper noun thus necessitating capitalization. Also parenthetical statements belong inside of a sentence (though excellent point about Ludacris). You are by far the best writer on this site and are close to perfection. So why not put in an extra five minutes and achieve what you're clearly capable of?

Wilder Shaw said...

1) No, lackage is not a word. Patrick knows this. I know this. You know this. Clearly.

2) If you tell me "clearly" is a fragment, I will explode.

3) Cinematographer is not a proper noun. It is a job. You don't capitalize writer, or director. Check your facts before you preach to us.

Patrick Lundberg said...

Alright look - I don't care if guntoting is one word or two words. I don't care if lackage is not a word. I don't care if well-written is a hyphenate. And, as Wilder points out, cinematographer is NOT a proper noun. Even if it were, the context that I used it in excuses any capitalization of the word in the first place.

Furthermore, I am glad you appreciate my pieces but any good you think you are doing is wasted on me. Putting another five minutes into an article to ensure I haven't missed some ridiculously miniscule issue such as a hyphenated word is not something I care to do and does not in any way lower the quality of my piece. Professional writers have editors to find little errors like that. I am not a professional, am not getting paid and am not making money off of this blog. Thusly, having some technical issues in my articles is acceptable, irrelevant and a waste of time to nit-pick. Knock it off.

Read this site for content. It appears that you are enjoying what we write or you would not keep coming back. Of course, your continued interest in pointing out our mistakes instead of commenting on what we are actually saying implies that you are suffering from a depressing life and are looking for an avenue of discharge. I would imagine that the emotions you experience while writing your self-perceived "enlightening" comments are similar in shade and hue to the emotions experienced by the big, insecure kid on the playground who beats up little Timmy for Oreos.

Seeing as nearly all of your posts come into being at ungodly hours of the night, I will assume that the agent of your unhappiness is, in fact, insomnia. I sympathize that you cannot sleep. If I was in your position I would be cranky as well. However, that does not excuses your comments and does not absolve you of your responsibility to society to be courteous and respectful to others when on their property. This blog site is our property. Be respectful or leave.

Disclaimer:
Views and comments expressed by readers and guest contributors are not necessarily shared by the consistent team of THE MOVIE WATCH. This is a free speech zone and we will not censor guest bloggers, but ask that you do not hold us accountable for what they proclaim.