Menu

5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars

Saturday, January 3, 2009

Mark's Top 5 For 2009

If everyone else is doing lists, I will too! 2009 is going to be a HUUUUUUGE year for film. It seems that when the films were going in a downward spiral, the studios actually listened and started upping the ante on their work. It was hard, but I've narrowed it down to five that I absolutely cannot wait for. (Watchmen isn't on the list because it may not come out in 2009)

5. Dragonball Evolution
So if you have been following The Movie Watch for a while, you'd know that I am quite intrigued by the idea of a live action movie based on the Dragonball series. Being a big fan, it doesn't look bad. I don't think it will be one of the greatest cinematic achievements of all time, but it has appeal for both the fans and the mainstream media. If anything, it'll just be a good "B" martial arts movie.


4. Monsters Vs Aliens
This film has been on my radar for quite some time. Before I saw any renders or heard any dialogue, I saw that Stephen Colbert was going to play the president and that Hugh Laurie was going to play a mad scientist named Dr. Cockroach M.D.. Those two comedic talents are enough for a great flick *coughdependingonthescriptcough*, but they are joined by Will Arnett, Seth Rogen, Keifer Sutherland, Paul Rudd and more. This looks to be another great Dreamworks venture.



3.Up
Pixar looks to wow us all again with the story of Carl Fredricksen. He sets out on a journey with a boyscout trying to get his "help the elderly badge" in order to fulfill his late wife's dream of exploring the mountains. Ed Asner is the voice of Carl and because of my love of Freakazoid!, I think this will be one of his best roles yet. It's a Pixar movie, you know you're going to see it. Also, what sort of teaser for Toy Story 3 do you think we'll get?


2. Star Trek XI
I was raised on Star Trek. I had seen all of the Next Generation movies in the theatre (except the last one, but who did see that in theatres?). I don't know as much about the original series except for what was in the films they made, so being able to see an origin story makes me a little excited. Also, they shot the academy scenes at Cal State University Northridge, where I am currently enrolled. It'll be funny to see the certain scenes and be like "Kirk went to Sky High!" It's gonna be great, so grab your phaser and set it to FUN! I couldn't help myself with the hokey line. Leave your complaints with Ezra.


1.Fanboys
What did you expect? Bride Wars? No sir! This film has been in hell for quite some time with fans just waiting to get any glimpse they can. I saw about ten to twenty minutes of the flick last year at Comic-Con and couldn't wait for it's release in 2008! It seems like this film is to us like what Phantom Menace is to the guys (and girl) in the flick. I know it won't disappoint. There is going to be more Star Wars jokes than Kevin Smith could ever dream of and more Star Trek knocking than ever. I can't wait to see what is in store and what they think of Phantom. Who's got two thumbs and already bought his tickets? THIS GUY!


HAVE A GOOD 2009! I know I will!

1 comment:

Patrick Lundberg said...

WHY DON'T YOU HAVE WATCHMEN IN HERE! UNACCEPTABLE MARK!

Disclaimer:
Views and comments expressed by readers and guest contributors are not necessarily shared by the consistent team of THE MOVIE WATCH. This is a free speech zone and we will not censor guest bloggers, but ask that you do not hold us accountable for what they proclaim.