Menu

5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars5 stars

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Review: THE WOLFMAN


Like The Mummy, you better walk into the theater for Joe Johnston's The Wolfman with the right expectations.

You should already know that it's not a good movie - but it is solid entertainment. It's the same formula and feel of any old 80's horror film, just with great effects and much more violence.



The story is pretty simple. Lawrence Talbot (Benicio del Toro) comes home to mourn the death of his brother who's been killed by a mysterious creature. Well, Lawrence ends up getting bitten, and lives, and thus becomes... brace yourselves... THE WOLFMAN.

The movie is simple, and has no real depth to it at all. The characters are bland and predictable, and the love story makes no sense. Overall, the movie is pretty bad, but what it lacks in story, it makes up in entertainment. This movie is WAY more graphic than I expected, and I loved it. When Lawrence goes berserk as a werewolf, he WRECKS people. Heads fly off, organs are ripped out, and blood flies everywhere. I happen to think Joe Johnston is a great director, and I can only assume that he meant this gore not as a shock factor, but as a nod to old 80's horror films.

I did like the cast. I mean, Sir Anthony Hopkins really can't go wrong. No matter how dumb the role is, he plays it nicely. Benicio del Toro was pretty good as well, and the fact that he already looks like a hairless werewolf was a plus. Emily Blunt was little more than eye candy, but I can't really say she was bad. I have to admit, during her biggest emotional scene, I had a crazy person in my theatre who was screaming at the top of his lungs while walking out of the movie, so I didn't really pay any attention to what was going on. Hugo Weaving was easily the best of the bunch. Has he ever not been awesome?

I want to mention cinematographer Shelly Johnson and composer Danny Elfman. Both of these guys really rocked their department and brought the movie from a forgettable good time to a rememberable good time. Applause all around.

There you have it. It's not a good movie, but it's a movie everyone clearly took joy in making - and that's not something I want to criticize.



No comments:

Disclaimer:
Views and comments expressed by readers and guest contributors are not necessarily shared by the consistent team of THE MOVIE WATCH. This is a free speech zone and we will not censor guest bloggers, but ask that you do not hold us accountable for what they proclaim.